Garnish: Mise-en-Place| Foody Categories| ITCC:If thoughts could cook!

Monday, April 25, 2005

Mise en Place


From a Cooking website - What makes the cooking process on those cooking shows and restaurant kitchens seem so effortless? Successful cooks and chefs all over the world apply a concept known as Mise en Place (MEEZ-ahn-plahs). The French definition means “everything in its place,” and it is a culinary term that refers to preparing and pre-measuring ingredients ahead of time. However, Mise en Place is more than just a term; it is a concept or a state-of-mind that when applied to any kitchen, will result in a smooth-flowing, time saving cooking process.

And that is what I 'try' to do most of the time. So before we even dig our hands in batter and smother our aprons in curry lets just go through the stuff that I reckon is my best mate in the kitchen, things that I simply couldn't do without!
  • A good hand blender + chopper. My Braun works wonders for me, if you have a food processor that would be excellent, but for many students/teens a simple chopper will do.
  • A salad spinner + dryer. You must have seen lovely leafy greens turn wet and soggy just when you want to use them. This spinner allows you to wash the salad in it and then drain the water and spin it dry!
  • A proper 'tava' or a non-stick round griddle. You cannot expect to get the best of parathas, dosas or uttapams if you don't find yourself a nice 'tava' to cook them on.
  • Ummm.. thats all I can think of right now, I'm sure there will be more added to this list as we go.
Ofcourse I don't expect you to go and buy any of the above mentioned items right now.... but just keep in mind that they sure come in handy!

~~~~~~~~~~

I have found the CD of my mobile software but jave misplaced the USB cord! I am soo careless. And I want to post pictures with the food recipes....

I would love to get hands on recipes too girls and guys! Please feel free to share them - you can mail me on
nupur.forblogs@gmail.com

Yes... after months of 'No Thanks!' I have finally accepetd a gmail invitation this morning. Lets see what the whole huff-n-puff was about.

12 Comments:

Blogger Colors said...

meeee firssstttt

April 26, 2005 2:24 PM  
Blogger Colors said...

Yes chopper is one of my most handy appliance...it saves me from shedding a few tears which chopping the onions.

Good start...now lets move on to the food part :-)

April 26, 2005 2:28 PM  
Blogger Fundoo said...

*You cannot expect to get the best of parathas, dosas or uttapams if you don't find yourself a nice 'tava' to cook them on.*

If the cook is me, you cannot expect the best of parathas, dosas or uttappams even you have a "nice" tava to cook them on. :D Roll on gal... good start! BTW post an alert on your regular blog when you update this blog okie? Or even better post it on the main blog itself!! :-?

Oh and by the way if you need to seek any assistance on culinary matters, you know whom to approach! :D Yeah yeah ME... where else will you find an expert advise and that too for free! :p

April 27, 2005 12:10 AM  
Blogger Pallavi said...

salad spinner sounds interesting.. I was also thinking of starting a cooking blog.. but I am procrastinating.. maybe when I have the mood I shall start one... SIGH .. but way to go !! :)

April 27, 2005 9:13 PM  
Blogger khwaish said...

unfortunately..i have none of the above, i.e...chpper, tava, and salad spinner...

post a few of ur fav recipes..then i can experiment...:D

April 27, 2005 9:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

hmm.... this means i'd have to buy all these items.. have none at present.. :((
btb, let me see if i would really want to try my hand in cooking.. all depends on the type of recipe u publish here.. :D

April 28, 2005 6:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought there will be some food involved by now...:(

Anyways, I have none of the things you just mentioned.

I will email you one receipe just right now. Hope you like it...:)

April 29, 2005 1:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@ Colors:

I did'nt got any choppers...waise bhi hum toh rone ka bahana dhondtee hain aajkal...*wink wink*

April 29, 2005 1:31 AM  
Blogger Colors said...

Ricky...whats wrong? tum udhas ho? Jab bhi rone ka mann kare...lemme know, I will tell you my PJs and you will have no option left but to cry.... :P

April 29, 2005 8:52 AM  
Blogger Sangeeta said...

I somehow don;t like cooking on non-stick pans..o prefer the 'tawa'

April 30, 2005 6:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@ Colors:

Mujhe rone ka mann kar raha hain, suicide karne ka nahin...he he.

May 01, 2005 12:01 AM  
Blogger Nupur said...

Thanks everyone for your interest in my kit*chen* blog. And this first recipe is dedicated to all of YOU!!! :D

May 01, 2005 8:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home