Curd Rice - well not really!
I call them "Dahi ke chawal" = Curd Rice or Yogurt Rice.
And I know that there is a different south-indian rice dish called 'Curd Rice' as well, that one has tamarind juice/lemon juice in it. So, if thats the one that you know, then this isn't the same.
May be I'll call it Yogurt Rice to keep the two different. This is a much much simpler version I think and oh so easy to make!
Dahi ke Chawal OR Yogurt Rice
My favourite snack/meal in a rush!
3 bowls of boiled Rice, preferably Basmati as that tastes n smells nice! And yes, left overs will do!
1 cup yogurt, beaten to a smooth paste with a spoon. Can add 1/4 cup water to the yogurt if its very thick.
1 chopped chilli
2-3 table spoons of oil
2 teaspoons of turmeric powder *haldi*
1 teaspoon of mustard seeds *rai*
a few curry leaves
Chilli flakes (optional or how hot u'd like)
Salt to taste
1. Add oil in a hot pan.
2. Add mustard seeds and leave for a minute till they begin to splutter.
3. Add the chopped chilli, turmeric powder, curry leaves and chilli flakes.
4. Add the boiled rice to the pan and mix well.
5. Add the beaten yogurt to the rice in the pan and salt to taste. Mix well and cook for 2 minutes.
6. ENJOY - with or without pickles!!