Garnish: Mise-en-Place| Foody Categories| ITCC:If thoughts could cook!

Thursday, May 05, 2005

Curd Rice - well not really!

This recipe is..... I don't know where this one came from. The origins are a bit unclear, coz one day I went into the kitchen, saw some left over boiled rice and yogurt in the fridge and I came out of the kitchen with this! - but I'm sure there are many versions of this recipe known to many of you. So any suggestions or tips will be most welcome!!

I call them "Dahi ke chawal" = Curd Rice or Yogurt Rice.
And I know that there is a different south-indian rice dish called 'Curd Rice' as well, that one has tamarind juice/lemon juice in it. So, if thats the one that you know, then this isn't the same.
May be I'll call it Yogurt Rice to keep the two different. This is a much much simpler version I think and oh so easy to make!

OK.
Dahi ke Chawal OR Yogurt Rice

My favourite snack/meal in a rush!

Ingredients --
3 bowls of boiled Rice, preferably Basmati as that tastes n smells nice! And yes, left overs will do!
1 cup yogurt, beaten to a smooth paste with a spoon. Can add 1/4 cup water to the yogurt if its very thick.
1 chopped chilli
2-3 table spoons of oil
2 teaspoons of turmeric powder *haldi*
1 teaspoon of mustard seeds *rai*
a few curry leaves
Chilli flakes (optional or how hot u'd like)
Salt to taste


Method --
1. Add oil in a hot pan.
2. Add mustard seeds and leave for a minute till they begin to splutter.
3. Add the chopped chilli, turmeric powder, curry leaves and chilli flakes.
4. Add the boiled rice to the pan and mix well.
5. Add the beaten yogurt to the rice in the pan and salt to taste. Mix well and cook for 2 minutes.
6. ENJOY - with or without pickles!!

12 Comments:

Blogger anumita said...

Make this without the turmeric. Will try it with, this time.

May 05, 2005 10:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well me southie and this is an absolute fav.......btw we make it without haldi and i think thats the better version........:-)

May 06, 2005 7:36 AM  
Blogger Colors said...

Hie...being a Nepali girl, rice is my absolute fav! Have tried curd rice (southie version), but dont like much...except when it has lotsa tadka and spices. This one looks better with the haldi...maybe I should try it after all :-)

May 06, 2005 9:33 AM  
Blogger Fundoo said...

Hmmm... looks like someone has started getting influenced by my culinary skills! B-) The only difference being you *still* haven't managed to burn anything in the kitchen. :D

May 08, 2005 1:30 AM  
Blogger Deepak Jeswal said...

Hi Nupur, good to see the blog up and running. Curd rice sounds yummmmy...zarur try karunnga and will let u know...

May 08, 2005 7:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Nupur, I love this receipe. This is one receipe for which I have everything. I will certainly try it this week, no question about it...

Awesome!! I told you na this could become my favourite blog...

May 08, 2005 10:10 PM  
Blogger Nupur said...

@Anumita: Yeah...sure! Let me know how you go. :D

@Divya: Okay... honestly I have heard a 'lot' about southie Curd rice but 'never' had it... so I wouldn't know. Tell me how you make urs and I'd surely love to try!

May 09, 2005 5:20 PM  
Blogger Nupur said...

@Colors: Oh definately! I have heard of the southie version a lot but never tried. Will do if I can get my hands on the recipe.
But yeah... you go ahead n try this one out! :D

@Fundamental: Yeah... I know!
My brother burnt milk last nite - total BLACK!!! Dunno how u guys consistantly do it...all the time! *buhahahaha*

May 09, 2005 5:23 PM  
Blogger Nupur said...

@DJ: Oh... plz do and I shall be waiting to hear your experience/suggestions/tips etc..! :)

@Sushi: Just for fun mate! Just for fun!!

May 09, 2005 5:24 PM  
Blogger Nupur said...

@Ricky: OKAY then.... go for it!
Knock yourself out mate!! :D

May 09, 2005 5:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi
First time here. I love cooking myself. The southie version is quite similar....I dont use haldi. Try adding a few grapes/pomegranate to it. If you like the fruits...trust me..you will love the results.

May 12, 2005 6:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved it. The most simple and yummy receipe. I have made it like 3-4 times. Thank You Maam...:)

June 01, 2005 7:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home