Garnish: Mise-en-Place| Foody Categories| ITCC:If thoughts could cook!

Sunday, May 01, 2005

Spinach Paratha and Coriander Chutney

Ok.... finally! *you say!* ;)

Right, after quite a few weeks of disappearence from the scene since the launch of my "Kit*chen*blog" I'm here to share my first recipe with you today. By way of explanation for the delay, I wanted to post real pics of the food and what it looks like when I make it. This is because for me Good Food = 30% Taste + 30% Smell + 30% the Look and 10% the chef!! ;)

And so I really wanted to publish my pics too. But then I misplaced the CD to load the mobile manager software and later cable to connect my mobile to the laptop.. ! :( *I'm soo careless!!*

Anyways.... cutting the long story short, I have decided to post the recipes with pics from google. I'll do my best to give you as tempting a pic as possible but please bear with me till I find a way to post my own pics.

-----------------------------------------
Please note, that having tried the recipes soo many times, I have stopped measuring any thing, I just pop it in using my 'intuition'. That could also mean that some measurements may not be entirely accurate.
So, those who are regulars visiters to their kitchen *and actually cook* please use your discretion too, and others - God knows!! :D

-----------------------------------------


Right...

Spinach Paratha or Palak Paratha.

(No - Gals n guys who don't like green veggies - don't make faces. You can take it from me *who hated anything green - yeah I wonder how I survived being a veggie n hating greens!* that this paratha is addictive, so easy to make too that you'll make it any chance you get.

Ingredients--
100 -150 gms of frozen chopped spinach (thats like half the box)
OR Fresh spinach (but thats just too hard for me, to pick the leaves, then wash a zillion times, then chop etc..)
2 cups of Wheat Flour
1 finely chopped green chilli (optional)
1 finely chopped onion (optional)
2 teaspoons of turmeric powder *haldi*
1 teaspoon of cumin seeds *jeera*
1 spoon of Ginger + Garlic paste (aah! What would I do with out my ginger n garlic paste? I have a huge jar full of it and it runs out in no time)
Chilli flakes (optional or how hot u'd like)
Salt to taste

Method --
1. Put the box of frozen spinach in the microwave for a minute or till it thaws so the ice has nearly melted.
2. In a big bowl add flour, green chilli, chopped onion, turmeric powder, cumin seeds, ginger+garlic paste, chilli flakes and salt.
3. Add the thawed spinach to the bowl of dry ingredients. And water to the whole mixture and make the dough. Let it sit for an hour *if you can wait*
4. Make small balls and roll into parathas and cook on a hot tava with oil or butter.
5. Serve hot with pickles, yogurt and/or coriander chutney.

Coriander Chutney or Dhaniya Chutney

This is quick if you have it all ready to go.

Ingredients --
A bunch of fresh corinader leaves
1 spoon of dried mint flakes OR a few mint leaves
2 to 3 green chillies
Chilli flakes (optional or how hot u'd like)
Salt to taste

Method --
1. Add all the ingredients in a chopper/blender/food processor. Add some water if the mix is too dry, to get a thick chutney like consistency. Pour the paste in a bowl.
2. Heat 3-4 spoons of oil in a little pan and add this to the bowl of chutney. *I didn't know this trick, learnt from a friend here - this makes the chutney more... saucy!*
3. Enjoy with hot parathas, rotis or anything Indian.

I hope you guys get a chance to try this dish. Let me know how you go.
Take care!

21 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Palak paratha and green chutney...
*slurpppp* Great start Nupur!!Well done!!*patting ure back*
I just love stuffed parathas....be it aaloo,gobhi,palak,paneer,mooli..
or any other damn thing!!My god!!My mouth is literally watering now!!So badly want 2 have a palak paratha right now....but they dont make it in the mess here:(

May 02, 2005 12:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Palak Parantha but how much water, you did'nt mention that. I mean I cook a lot but I find rotis to be hardest thing to cook, so would like your assistance on making the dough. Also, though I am very peculiar about the right quantities of ingredients, I think this should work for me.

Can I find frozen spinach out here, like do you know if it's available in stores in Oz.

For chutney I will need to buy some kinda blender, so that should be a start.

I will try to make this sometime within next week and get back at you but please specify the quantity of water....Thanx...:)

May 02, 2005 12:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice going Nupur! Will definitely try this becuz i LOVE palak! :)

Great job!

May 02, 2005 8:38 AM  
Blogger Sangeeta said...

I'll try that tomorrow itself..now that i have a month-long vacation..:)

May 02, 2005 9:03 AM  
Blogger Colors said...

Yummy yum.....me on a *strict* diet for a few days...will surely try once I am done with it :-)

May 02, 2005 2:26 PM  
Blogger Nupur said...

@Nidhi: Soo glad you liked it Nidhi. And it sure is a shame that you cant try it..!! :(
Yess... as you sure remember - how we used to loooove Vasudha's Cheese parathas... haina!! *slurp* That has brought water to my mouth!! :D

@Ricky: How much water? Yes, that is a good question. What I do is, I usually take a big mug water when I have to make the dough for roti/poori/paratha. And I keep adding water as I go, so there isn't a set quantity of water to a quantity of flour as parathas dough is usually softer and Poori dough is harder while roti is just in the middle!!
I hope I haven't confused you more, but believe me I used to run away from making dough myself, but really its much better than eating rice day in and day out..! So give it a go.

May 02, 2005 5:51 PM  
Blogger Nupur said...

@Poonam: You love palak?!Wow.. good on you gurl!! :D

@Sangeeta: :) sure sure let me know how you go.. month long vacation?! Someone's very very lucky!

May 02, 2005 5:53 PM  
Blogger Nupur said...

@Colors: You know palak being a veggie might be an excellent supplement for your diet. ;) And you could go with out butter onyour paratha.. make Palak ki Roti instead!!

May 02, 2005 5:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

palak parantha and green chutney........cool......hey if you dont mind i can contribute south ki dishes to ur kitchen......wat say?!......waiting for ur next recipe...!

May 03, 2005 12:25 PM  
Blogger Fundoo said...

Parathas and chutney!!!!!!!

Gimme those parathas instead of the recipee please. It'd be too harsh to expect someone cook these parathas when that someone has the bad reputation of burning maggi! :( (ok ok just 2 times............... out of 3 :|)

*Looks with an innocent face.

May 04, 2005 3:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi..i really luv stuffed paranthas n after reading ur recipe i m really craving 4 them.neways regarding d chutney i can give u a few suggestions..try adding some yogurt and jeera(bhuna jeera..i cant remember d english 4 dat)in it..it tastes gr8!n yogurt also gives it a nice color!

May 04, 2005 5:24 AM  
Blogger anumita said...

Sounds delicious! Must try!!!

May 05, 2005 3:24 AM  
Blogger Nupur said...

@Divya: Wow I would love to get hands on some south-Indian dishes Divya.
What would be the best way to get you to add the recipes here? Add you in the blog members to you mail them to me and I post them??
Let me know! ;)

May 05, 2005 6:41 PM  
Blogger Nupur said...

@Fundoo: Lol!! Yeah..I knew someone was going to say that! :)
Sorry mate, but there is a big mass of water in between, so you will have to give them a try urself!!

May 05, 2005 6:43 PM  
Blogger Nupur said...

@Sonal: Thanks so much, for the suggestions. I will have to try that this weekend itself! :)
And I open the offer to you just like I did to Divya, would you like to join in and post your recipes here sumtime?! And how do you think would be better, adding you as a memeber to the blog? or you mail them over and I post them on your behalf?

Would love to hear from you!

May 05, 2005 6:46 PM  
Blogger Nupur said...

@Anumita: Yes... please do and let me know how you go!
Happy Cooking!

May 05, 2005 6:46 PM  
Blogger Fundoo said...

Oh I just heard someone being offered a position as a member of this blog?! :-? I think there can't be a better person than me to join the gang. My culinary skills will not only add flair(!) to this blog but will also make you feel better. There is someone on this earth who can be a worse cook than you are. :p

So when shall I post my first recipee?? :p Planning to post a recipee to prepare Maggi with hot tea. :D

May 08, 2005 1:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanx Nupur, I will give it a shot now soon...:)

May 08, 2005 9:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My last comment was for you Nupur, pata nahin yeh "Colors" beech main kahan se aa gayee...he he

May 08, 2005 10:11 PM  
Blogger Nupur said...

@Gans: Thanks for helping out Ricky on that one! Parathas are beutiful - no matter what the stuffing may be, palak, onion, aloo, gobhi, mooli etc..etc... *slurp*

@Kaush: wah! Dahi in dough, thats the first I've heard of it, but it sure sounds very interesting - I Will Have To Try That! :)

May 09, 2005 5:10 PM  
Blogger Nupur said...

@Fundoo: yaa.. MR. I saw ur recipe for Maggi! :D
Idea is not bad but I know from experience that guys never like to clean up after the mess they make in the kitchen... so this offer is for gals 'only' at the moment. When I start with boys, I'll surely let u know mate! ;)

@Ricky: Yes please do, coz you know once you start making dough n get used to making it - NOTHING - and I mean nothing in Indian cooking will seem out of reach, can make all sorts of poori, kachauris, parathas n the whole kabaaang!! :D

May 09, 2005 5:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home