Garnish: Mise-en-Place| Foody Categories| ITCC:If thoughts could cook!

Monday, October 31, 2005

Carrot+Coconut Barfi

Its Diwali today and I bring to you an "extremely" easy sweet-dish that my didi 'elder sis' told me to make 2 years ago... on my first Diwali here in Oz without her (when she got married :( )

I was sad n homesick .... n didnt feel like doing anything at all. And she called and asked what I was making for Diwali and I mumbled, "Nothing!" as I thought of the juicy gulaab jamun's that she used to make every year for the last three years she was in Oz with me. And she scolded me disprovingly and said, "No! Get up and make something. You can't NOT do anything on Diwali. I'll tell you something very easy that you'll make in 10 mins."

So, dear blogmates, here is what she told me to do -

Gaajar aur Naariyal Barfi ( Carrot+Coconut Barfi)







*I have scoured the web, but cant find the pic. So here's me cheating n posting something similar, but shall post my own pics one day when I get my own digi camera!* :)


Ingredients --
5 medium length carrots - peeled and grated
1 small cup grated or dessicated coconut. *you can use dry ones from the super market as I do, but I'm told that fresh ones taste good too!*
1 teaspoon cardamom powder *or 4 crushed cardamoms*
2 tablespoons of pure Ghee
few strings of saffron
sugar to taste

Method --
1. In a pan, heat the ghee for a minute, then add the grated carrots and cook for about 4 minutes.
2. Toss frequently so the carrots dont burn. Add the coconut, cardamom and sugar and mix well. Cook for another 2 minutes or till the mixture becomes thick and the ingredients start sticking to each other.
3. Sprinkle the saffron strings and mix and then put aside.
4. Take a flat plate and spread some ghee all over it with fingers. Then spread the carrot mix on the plate. Can have as thick as you like (but remember that its its too thick it'll fall into pieces when you pick them!)
5. Cover and leave in a cool place to set for a few hours or overnight if possible.

Garnish with silver or dryfruits if you like them and cut into bite size pieces.
And the yummy barfi is ready!! :D

My best wishes for you and your families on this festive season!
God Bless!!

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Naam padh ke hee muhn main paani aa gaya. Now let me read and note down the ingredients. Tomorrow, I will attack the local food store. Infact, kal hee new store opened near my place, so isee bahane inaugration bhi ho jayega...LOL

October 31, 2005 7:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Wow!!

Sounds yummy. It must taste yummy too. I am excited. I will surely try this though maybe on weekend as some ingredients like Ghee may not be available in local store. I can't use Canola oil...right??

October 31, 2005 7:52 PM  
Blogger Nupur said...

Ricky: LOL!! Yeah.... mujhe sooch ke hi munh mein paani aa raha hai! Have to make it too....

And check karna new store mein maggi milti hai kya?! And all the desi ingredients of all my recipes! :P

October 31, 2005 9:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

can u believe it one of the sweets ma made for diwali is cocnut barfi!!:-D....
Divs

October 31, 2005 9:39 PM  
Blogger Swamy VKN said...

Happy diwali to you too Nupur. Your burfi recipe is excellent. I love all that of Gaajar :-)

November 01, 2005 1:24 AM  
Blogger Nupur said...

Divya: OMGosh!!! :D
*same pinch!!* Great minds think alike....eh?! ;)

So... you enjoyed it?

November 01, 2005 10:34 PM  
Blogger Nupur said...

VKN: :D I'm really glad you liked it. And gaajar's selling point - its good for the eyes! So it looks good, tastes good, and is good for you!!!

How good is that!! ;)

November 01, 2005 10:35 PM  
Blogger Navjot Kashyap said...

Seems good..gajjar barfi se yaad aaya...
Kabhi gajar ka halwa khaya ya banaya hai? Its delicious...

November 02, 2005 2:01 AM  
Blogger Sadie said...

Goodness!
Barfi is one of my favorite treats! Thanks for sharing the recipe...
Happy Holiday!

November 02, 2005 12:17 PM  
Blogger Nupur said...

Navjot: Ofcourse I have!!!
How can I call myself an Indian if I havent eaten gaajar ka jalwa!

November 02, 2005 5:46 PM  
Blogger Nupur said...

Sadie: Sure gurl! :)
Hope youe enjoy making at and eating it! And my best wishes for the holidays to you too.

November 02, 2005 5:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please don't talk about "Gajar ka Halwa" (or as Nupur call it, Gajar ka jalwa...lol). My Masi makes the best "Gajar ka halwa" in the entire Universe and I am missing it now...:-(

November 03, 2005 3:42 PM  
Blogger kumarldh said...

This Ricky sounds familiar.
Anyway
I too cook and I am developing this hobby. I have conservative taste and I work on Indian Dishes. Mostly Punjabi stuff. Can you give me some reipies for Biryani. Thanks in advance

November 17, 2005 7:00 AM  
Blogger Nupur said...

Ricky: LOL!! :P

November 30, 2005 8:57 PM  
Blogger Nupur said...

Kumar: :) Ummm.... do you mean Veg. Biryani??!
I'll get one of those for you if that's what ur after....

November 30, 2005 8:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice recipe! But please tell how much sugar is to be used.
Thanks,
Sonia

January 25, 2007 6:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nupur
性別: 女性
"星座: " 天蠍座
行業: 科技
位置: 澳洲
關於我自己
I like to think of myself as a sweet, simple and interesting gal. God knows how much truth there is in this thought!!!
HEHEHEHEEH YOU WANT US TO BELIEVE THAt... OK..OK...OK WE BELIEVE YOU

October 30, 2009 3:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home