I was sad n homesick .... n didnt feel like doing anything at all. And she called and asked what I was making for Diwali and I mumbled, "Nothing!" as I thought of the juicy gulaab jamun's that she used to make every year for the last three years she was in Oz with me. And she scolded me disprovingly and said, "No! Get up and make something. You can't NOT do anything on Diwali. I'll tell you something very easy that you'll make in 10 mins."
So, dear blogmates, here is what she told me to do -
Gaajar aur Naariyal Barfi ( Carrot+Coconut Barfi)
*I have scoured the web, but cant find the pic. So here's me cheating n posting something similar, but shall post my own pics one day when I get my own digi camera!* :)
5 medium length carrots - peeled and grated
1 small cup grated or dessicated coconut. *you can use dry ones from the super market as I do, but I'm told that fresh ones taste good too!*
1 teaspoon cardamom powder *or 4 crushed cardamoms*
2 tablespoons of pure Ghee
few strings of saffron
sugar to taste
1. In a pan, heat the ghee for a minute, then add the grated carrots and cook for about 4 minutes.
2. Toss frequently so the carrots dont burn. Add the coconut, cardamom and sugar and mix well. Cook for another 2 minutes or till the mixture becomes thick and the ingredients start sticking to each other.
3. Sprinkle the saffron strings and mix and then put aside.
4. Take a flat plate and spread some ghee all over it with fingers. Then spread the carrot mix on the plate. Can have as thick as you like (but remember that its its too thick it'll fall into pieces when you pick them!)
5. Cover and leave in a cool place to set for a few hours or overnight if possible.
Garnish with silver or dryfruits if you like them and cut into bite size pieces.
And the yummy barfi is ready!! :D
My best wishes for you and your families on this festive season!