Garnish: Mise-en-Place| Foody Categories| ITCC:If thoughts could cook!

Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Kad-hi -- for the lazy and the not so lazy!

Kad-hi!
One of those curries that I loved so much, that I was scared to try my hand at making, because I thought I'd hate myself if I spoiled it or make it horribly wrong!!

But after seeing a distant family friend here in Melbourne make it infront of me - I thought, I should try this, this is easy! And there are 3 kinds that you can make, the 2 very easy ones - and the 3rd just as easy one...but they all just taste so beautiful that you have to try them all atleast once!! :D


Kad-hi


Ingredients --

For 'pakora-kadhi'
Please check out the Pakoras post for the recipe in detail.
Add finely chopped onions to the plain batter and prepare the pakoras.

For 'aloo-kadhi'
3-4 boiled potatoes cut into 1.5cm wide cubes.

For 'paapad-kadhi'
5-6 pappadums folded into quarters
*I use peppered Lijjat papad from the Indian store*
You can use them raw or heat them on flame and fold into quarters.

For the kadhi gravy --
1 large cup Yogurt
1/4 cup Besan (Gram flour)
2 teaspoons of turmeric powder *haldi*
1 teaspoon of mustard seeds *rai*
1/2 teaspoon of fennel seeds *saunf* (optional!)
1/2 teaspoon of asafoetida powder *heeng*
Chilli flakes (optional or how hot u'd like)
a few curry leaves
few tablespoons of oil
Salt to taste


Method --
1. Mix the yogurt and gram flour in a large bowl. Add salt, turmeric powder and some chilli flakes. Beat it well to make sure there aren't any lumps. Can add upto 1/2 cup water to keep it fairly liquidy! *whatever that it! :D*
2. Heat oil in a large pan and add asafoetida powder, mustard seeds, curry leaves and turmeric powder and chilli flakes and heat till it splutters.
3. Only for 'aloo-kadhi' - add the boiled potato cubes and cook for 2 minutes.
4. Add the yogurt mix to the pan and heat for 10-15 minutes.
5. For 'pakora-kadhi' add the pakoras and for 'paapad-kadhi' add the paapad, to the boiling yogurt mix and cook for another 5 minutes.

Eat with hot steamed rice!!!


*Still here?? Arrey go, make urself some!!*

11 Comments:

Blogger Deepak Jeswal said...

Aah! What timing! Just when i was thinking ke kya banaaoo aaj, this post comes up! Thanks, Nupur. The kadhi is on the gas, and from the looks its gonna come out great. Plus, i will be going for the papad one (though no Lijjat available here :( ) since abhi pakoda banane ka time nahin hai.

Thanks :)

June 08, 2005 2:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi nupur my name is hem me here for the first time from Deepaks blog...this looks like an intersting kitchen actually e-kitchen...i too am crazy about kadhi but it never comes out as wonderfully as my aunty in the neighbourhood...they use mattha ie sour buttermilk instead of yoghurt..mmmmm I love kadhi!!!

June 08, 2005 5:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmm.....slurrp....kya main gujarati kadhi ki recipe de sakti hooon? Its actualy very similar just minus the pakoras, or papad, dal like consistency.
good going girll..i have never made this kind of kadhi..will try it soon..THANKSSSS MUCHCCC

June 08, 2005 6:44 AM  
Blogger Fursat said...

i liked this recepie. i was searching for Kadhi recepie and found it here. thanks for posting it. i ll try it for sure and will keep visiting here for new recepies. thanks for making it only for veggie receipes.

God bless u !

June 08, 2005 9:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, this is the next receipe on my agenda after I try "Ajwain Chicken" at Saba's cooking blog. I am having so much fun trying new things. Thank You so much for posting wonderful receipes.

June 10, 2005 7:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just tried "Potato Kadhi". It came out great. Loved it. Thank You Nupur for the wonderful receipe...

Waiting for a new one from ya...:)

June 18, 2005 11:25 PM  
Blogger Fundoo said...

Boy... this kitchen has started becoming busy again! :O) Kadhi looks tempting and the testimonials from people here suggest that it tastes good too! Ahem!

BTW Kaush... Gujju kadhi! Woww... yummiee!! Jaldi jaldi recipee post kijiye! Love that sweetish taste of gujju food! :)

June 20, 2005 1:39 AM  
Blogger Sir Rocks said...

Hello any egg items on the menu? stuffed egg perhaps? Man I have to give you recipe for my "Soy nugget Biryani" ---- Simply to die fer ;)

June 24, 2005 12:22 AM  
Blogger Deepak Jeswal said...

Nothing new here ? :(

June 29, 2005 2:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW!!! NUPUR RULES!!!!

What else can I say...super blogs, both that I read...my first time here as well by chance. Kept clicking the "Next Blog" icon and landed up here.

Great writing!! And on some days, the feeling of wanting to return home is more, so as so many others have said, get busy in something and you should be able to get over this soon. I returned home after 6 years in the US, just had too, be home with my parents and all. But things here have changed from when I had left, some for the better some for the worse, I guess one feels sad for the worse ones.

You site is great, and your recipes appear super...will try some and get back sometime.

Good luck!!

June 29, 2005 11:58 AM  
Blogger Nupur said...

Oops!!
A very late reply.

But thanks to all of you who came and checked out the Kadhi recipe. I hope it have turned out just as tasty!! :D

To all new and Anon visitors I dont know who you are...but I hope u enjoyed the dish as much as I enjoyed posting it here! :) See you around.

August 16, 2005 6:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home