Garnish: Mise-en-Place| Foody Categories| ITCC:If thoughts could cook!

Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Pakoras - the building blocks for 'kad-hi'!

Hey people!
Thanks so much to all of you who have tried the parathas with chutney, yogurt rice and pasta. I loved your feedback!
Its great to know that this is working - for someone out there!!!
I'll try and post simple stuff with as much variety as possible so you all can try and enjoy these recipes! And I am still taking suggestions and better ways to make these dishes so lets have those comments pouring in.

I love kad-hi (you are thinking why I have a - in between, I just think that helps pronounce the name better, don't you think?!) :) And I love kad-hi with pakoras in it so I thought before I can post the very easy kad-hi recipe, I should post - yes, you guessed it - PAKORAS!
And I'm sure anyone and everyone who has had Indian food has definately had some kind of pakora for sure. There is an amazing range of stuff you can make - if - you just get the batter right!

So without much ado -

Pakoras


Ingredients (for batter)---
1 cup Besan (Gram Flour)
1 chopped green chilli
2 teaspoons of turmeric powder *haldi*
1 teaspoon of cumin seeds *jeera*
2 tablespoons of ginger/garlic paste
Chilli flakes (optional or how hot u'd like)
Salt to taste

TIP: Add 2 tablespoons of Pakora Masala - I use Mangal's (i think) and it makes my pakoras just awesome!

Method ---
1. Put all ingredients in a medium sized bowl.
2. Add water, small serve at a time and mix the contents. Keep adding water till the mixture is fairly thick and fluffy....*tip* thick enough to easily coat the spoon. (Don't add too much water or the oil is going to spatter a lot!)

Done!

Now you can use -
Onion rings for Onion pakora
Potato slices for Aloo pakora
Eggplant slices for Baigan pakora
Cheese fingers for Paneer pakora
Pumpkin slices for Pumpkin pakora
Capsicum rings for Capsicum pakoras
Cauliflower florets for Gobhi pakoras
Can even add chopped spinach or cabbage to the batter - Go crazy with your imagination!!


Just dip the vegetables in the batter and deep fry them in hot oil till they are golden brown- they taste awesome with chutney.


I want to hear "your" version of pakoras - till next time......... with kad-hi!

20 Comments:

Blogger Colors said...

Me firstttttt! :-)
Wow pakodas...our all time fav snack. Yummy yumm!! Pakodas and chai! They get along so well....u know, I dont like baigan (brinjal/eggplant) as such, but love baigan pakodas..of couse onion bhaji is the best always! Thanks!

May 24, 2005 2:51 PM  
Blogger i-me-myself said...

Hey,
First time on your blog! Love it! Haven't given any of the recipes a go yet..but i sure will!

May 26, 2005 4:23 AM  
Blogger bablu said...

Pakoras --- Ah mouth watering ,,,
I simple love them... This was one of teh first dish i learnt to make from my Granma when i was a kid... Hoping to make some tonite. U are invited...

May 27, 2005 3:41 AM  
Blogger Nupur said...

@Colors: :D so true...pakoras + chai + rainy season!! ;)
n I have had my best onion bhaji from the hands of an indian chef I know at work!

@Busy-be: Hey! Welcome... great to see you here. I'll see you around....

May 27, 2005 8:16 AM  
Blogger Nupur said...

@Bablu: :) very sweet!
First thing I learnt from my Granma was Halwa!!

May 27, 2005 8:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

pakora's............cool or rather hot!! i love onion pakoras the best!! have u heard of chilli pokara's...its this big green not-so hot chillies dipped in the batter n fried....my sis loves them!!so my contribution to ur list of pakora's i cud add a couple more but the ingredients are very south-ki and not very sure how to put acroos!!

May 28, 2005 10:30 AM  
Blogger Karthik L G said...

Kitchens of India
can anyone tell me whts the difference between a pakorda & bajji

i guess pakodas r more harder n tend to dry the mouth whereas bajjis r softer n kind of juicier

i guess divya was refering to the bajjis

hi nupur , i guess my first comment on ur blog

May 30, 2005 7:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Nupur, your blog just makes me hungry. Pakoras, now that you mention. My all time fav are Paneer Pakoras...oye hoye...slurrrp slurrp...

I have already tried your Curd Rice. Pasta is next and then Pakoras...so much to eat so little time...

June 01, 2005 7:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not to ruin your taste buds, but there is a company in UK that deep fries everything in a bater. Their most famous is "Mars chocolate" but they virtually deep fry everything you can think of...

June 01, 2005 7:26 PM  
Blogger Invincible said...

u know wot, it's raining here, and i m gonna try pakor(d)as today.
Pakor(d)as n tea reminds me of my childhood :)

June 03, 2005 4:39 PM  
Blogger Deepak Jeswal said...

I m so excited that I cud shout. Just made pasta as per ur recipe. Turned out ekdum awesome. Thanks so much ...

BTW, waiting very very eagerly for the Kadhi recipe. I luv it but hv no clue of how to make it :-)

June 04, 2005 12:52 AM  
Blogger Invincible said...

i did it .. and the pakodas were really ooooohhhh laa laaa..
while showers n thunders outside, watching DVD hogging on hot pakodas .. it was fun

June 04, 2005 3:20 PM  
Blogger Deepak Jeswal said...

Aaah! I just tried my hand at ur third recipe - the pakodas...and after the dahi-rice and pasta, another success. U were right, its the right batter that matters. Thanks a ton. Your site is a boon for me.

June 06, 2005 6:15 AM  
Blogger Nupur said...

@Divya: oh yess..I have heard about chilli pakoras too! HEar they are oh-so-hot!
Hey come on... get a translater if you have to... I need to hear ur version!!!

June 08, 2005 12:08 AM  
Blogger Nupur said...

@Karthik: Thanks mate...and yess I think you are right... bhaaji are fatter n softer than pakoras.
See you around..!

June 08, 2005 12:34 AM  
Blogger Nupur said...

@Ricky: Very good to know that these are all coming out beautifully for you! Mate....there's still lots more to come!!

June 08, 2005 12:37 AM  
Blogger Nupur said...

@Invincible: Ohh! Another pakora success story!! :D
Good on you.

June 08, 2005 12:38 AM  
Blogger Nupur said...

@Deepak: WOW!! you on the roll mate!! :D

Good going.... kadhi is coming in a few minutes.

June 08, 2005 12:39 AM  
Blogger Fundoo said...

Ahem ahem! Onion pakoras!!! Yummiee!! Imagine a rainy evening, thunders outside, nice cold weather and of course garma garam pakoras! Well well it's not *that* cold in my part of the world but I am not short of excuses to eat pakoras anyway. :p The foto looks tempting re. Sigh... I want pakoras! Boohoo...

June 14, 2005 5:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello!

Wow! Nice work! I really could use your help! I am the webmaster for a non-profit project called Cookbookwiki.com. The site is a cooking wiki web site where anyone can add or edit content (like Wikipedia.com). Our mission statement which explains what we are trying to do is located here (please look):

http://www.cookbookwiki.com/Cookbookwiki:About

I would LOVE to have some of your content on our wiki! We just started really working hard on the section on Indian Food and Culture. I could use some input and maybe some volunteers to help!

I have been hammering away on Indian Food as you can see:

http://www.cookbookwiki.com/Category:Indian

As you can see, we have a start, but a really long way to go! I really want to document as much about Indian cooking as possible. And I am short on contributors! Please hear my cry for your assistance!

Thank you for your time and consideration, please contact me if you are interested in helping out!

Robert Eaton
Cookbookwiki.com
wikimanager@yahoo.com

January 16, 2006 2:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home