Kheer - the simplest and the best!
My absolute fav-delish!! So I reckon it is the best one to start the string of sweet dishes on this kit*chen* blog. Lets dig in.....
Rice Pudding Or Kheer
4 cups Full cream milk *can use Half n Half in North America!*
3/4 cup Basmati rice
10 Almonds (plain, unsalted)
10 Cashew nuts (plain, unsalted)
10 Pistachios (plain, unsalted)
few strings of Saffron *Kesar*
Sugar to taste
1. Boil the milk in a large saucepan.
2. Add sugar and stir. Let the milk continuously simmer.
3. Add washed rice. Let the rice cook in the milk.
4. Crush the almonds, cashews and pistachios in a morter and pestle to get uneven powdery mix. Can leave a few bigger pieces. Add these crushed dry fruits to the simmering milk.
5. Drop the saffron strings in the milk and let it simmer for 20 mins (or till the mixture becomes thick and creamy!)
* Can add sultanas if you like 'em!
* Can add Everest Kesari Milk Masala to the milk while boiling to get a great taste! But I mostly make my kheer just with the simple ingredients above and it tastes wonderful!!
Serve hot or chilled with a garnish of saffron! :D